The basic tune-up specifications found here apply to the 1996-1999 3.0L DOHC Ford Taurus (1996-1999 3.0L DOHC Mercury Sable).
The 3.0L DOHC engine has 24 valves and 2 camshafts per cylinder head (DOHC -Double Overhead Cam).
NOTE: You can find the tune-up and basic specifications for the 3.0L OHV engine here: Tune Up Specifications (1996-1999 3.0L OHV Ford Taurus).
Contents of this tutorial at a glance:
- How To Identify The 3.0L DOHC V6 Engine.
- Ignition System Specifications.
- Fuel System Specifications.
- Serpentine Belt Routing Diagram (DOHC).
- Intake Manifold Bolt Torque Specifications.
- Intake Manifold Plenum Bolt Torque Specifications.
- Cylinder Head Bolt Loosening Sequence (DOHC VIN S).
- Cylinder Head Bolt Torque Specifications (DOHC VIN S).
- More 3.0L Ford Tutorials.
You can find this tutorial in Spanish here: Especificaciones De Afinación y Del Motor 1996-1999 3.0L DOHC Ford Taurus (at: autotecnico-online.com).
How To Identify The 3.0L DOHC V6 Engine
The 1996-1999 3.0L V6 Ford Taurus comes equipped with 4 different engines. If you're not too sure if your Ford Taurus has the DOHC engine, you can check the 8th digit of the VIN. If your Ford Taurus has the DOHC engine, the 8th digit will be an S:
- FFV -Flex Fuel Vehicle.
- DOHC -Double Overhead Camshaft. This 3.0L engine has 24 valves and two camshafts per cylinder head.
- OHV -Over Head Valve. This is a simple 12 valve engine and the camshaft sits in the engine block.
- VIN -Vehicle Identification Number.
Ignition System Specifications
The 3.0L DOHC Ford Taurus uses a distributor-less ignition system (known in Ford-speak as EDIS). This system uses a coil pack that has 6 towers.
This coil pack is made up of 3 different ignition coils (with two towers each) within the same assembly. Each ignition coil (within the assembly) fires spark simultaneously in a type of ignition system known as: waste-spark.
|Spark Plug Wire Resistance Specification|
|30 K Ohms max for each cable (above 30 K Ohms and the cable is defective).|
|Spark Plug Gap|
|0.052-0.056 inches (1.32-1.42 MM).|
|Base Ignition Timing|
|No es ajustable.|
|OE Spark Plug|
|Motorcraft AWSF-32F (OE)
Motorcraft SP432 (equivalent to AWSF-32F)
The coil-pack ignition system of the 3.0L DOHC Ford Taurus can be easily tested. The following tutorial will show you how to diagnose the ignition coil pack in a step-by-step way: How To Test The Coil Pack (Ford 3.0L, 3.8L, 4.0L, 4.2L) (at: easyautodiagnostics.com).
Fuel System Specifications
The 1996-1999 DOHC 3.0L Ford Taurus (Mercury Sable) uses the EEC-V engine management system. The EEC-V fuel injection computer has 104 terminal.
The electric fuel pump is located inside the fuel tank.
|Fuel Pressure With The Key On Engine Off|
|37-43 PSI (2.5-2.9 Kg/cm²).|
|Fuel Pressure With The Key On Engine Running|
|26-45 PSI (1.8-3.2 Kg/cm²).|
|Fuel Injector Resistance|
|11-18 Ohms (individual resistance).|
|Location Of The Fuel Pump Inertia Switch|
|Inside the trunk and on the passenger side.|