Sooner or later, the maintenance reminder light on your 2001-2005 Honda Civic is gonna' light up.
Resetting the light is a pretty easy affair and I'll show you how in this tutorial.
MAINT REQ'D Light Reset Procedure
IMPORTANT: The headlights and parking lights must be off before attempting the MAINT REQ'D light reset procedure. If the lights are on, the MAINT REQ'D light will not reset. If your Civic is equipped with daytime running lights (DRL), the DRL must be disabled so the MAINT REQ'D light can be reset.
These are the steps:
- Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
- Press and hold the SELECT/RESET button.
- NOTE: See bottom photo for location of the SELECT/RESET button.
- While holding the button down, turn the ignition switch to the ON position (but without cranking or starting the engine).
- Hold the SELECT/RESET button for about 10 seconds.
- After 10 seconds, the MAINT REQ'D light will reset and turn off.
Additional Info About the MAINT REQ'D Light
The MAINT REQ'D light is designed to illuminate (whenever the engine is running) after 10, 000 miles.
Here are the specifics:
- After the MAINT REQ'D light is reset, it will illuminate when the ignition switch is turned on then will go out after 2 seconds.
- When the mileage driven reaches between 8,000 to 10,000 miles, the MAINT REQ'D light will illuminate for 2 seconds and then blink on and off for 10 seconds then it'll go out.
- When the mileage driven exceeds 10,000 miles the MAINT REQ'D light will illuminate and stay on as long as the ignition switch is in the ON position.