MAF Sensor Wiring Diagram
NOTE: The mass air flow (MAF) sensor wiring diagram and info in this page apply to specific Ford vehicles/model years. Take a look at the Applies To: box on the right column to check for specific application info.
Here's a brief description of the mass air flow (MAF) sensor circuits:
- LT BLU/RED wire:
- Outputs the MAF signal.
- The MAF signal is an analog voltage signal that increases when the engine breathes in more air (engine under load/acceleration) and decreases when the engine breathes less air (engine under no load/idling).
- TAN/LT BLU wire:
- MAF sensor Ground (provided by the PCM).
- BLK/WHT wire:
- Chassis Ground.
- RED wire:
- Supplies the MAF sensor with battery power from the PCM power relay in the power distribution center under the hood.
Testing the mass air flow (MAF) sensor itself is easy and can be done with a simple multimeter. you can find the MAF sensor test explained in a step-by-step way here: How To Test The Ford MAF (4.2L, 4.6L, 5.4L) (at: easyautodiagnostics.com).
Where To Buy The MAF Sensor And Save
You can buy the MAF sensor for your Ford in just about any auto parts store but you'll spend a whole lot more because they mark it up quite a bit.
My suggestion is to buy it online or at least comparison shop to get an idea of how much it costs and how much you can save.
The following links:
Not sure if the above mass air flow (MAF) sensor fits your particular Ford? Don't worry, once you get to the site, they'll make sure it fits by asking you the particulars of your vehicle. If it doesn't fit, they'll find you the right one.
More Ford 4.6L, 5.4L Diagnostic Tutorials
If you enjoyed and/or found this ‘How To’ article helpful, I have written several more Ford 4.6L, 5.4L specific test articles. You can find them all in this index: Ford 4.6L, 5.4L Index Of Articles
Here's a small sample of the articles you'll find there:
- How To Test The Fuel Pump -No Start Test (Ford 4.6L, 5.4L).
- How To Test The Crankshaft Position Sensor (Ford 4.6L, 5.4L).
- How To Test Ford Coil-On-Plug Ignition Coils 4.6L and 5.4L V8 Engines (at: easyautodiagnostics.com).
- How To Test The 4.6L, 5.4L Ford Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) (at: easyautodiagnostics.com).
- How To Test The FORD MAF 4.2L, 4.6L, 5.4L Round Air Filter Canister Assembly MAF Sensor (at: easyautodiagnostics.com).
- How To Test Ford MAF Sensors Using a Multimeter (at: easyautodiagnostics.com).
If this info saved the day, buy me a beer!