What Am I Testing With The Noid Light?
So many things can cause your Ford pick up, or car, or SUV to misfire that the only way to find the exact cause of the problem is doing some specific tests. The fuel injector Noid Light test is one of those tests.
The fuel injector Noid Light test will let you know if the fuel injector is getting power and the Injector Pulse (activation) signal from the fuel injection computer. If either one is missing the Noid Light will not flash on and off.
Since every engine cylinder needs fuel and spark to produce engine power.. having one fuel injector not working (because it's missing power or the activation signal) will cause the engine to run rough and cause Misfire Codes to light up your check engine light (CEL).
One thing to keep in mind, is that the fuel injector Noid Light test does not test for a bad fuel injector. But, is the first step in verifying if the fuel injector is bad or not. If you need to test the fuel injector itself, you'll find the link to this test at the end of this article.
Which Set Of Noid Lights Should I Buy?
There are lot of fuel injector Noid Light sets to choose from and many places to buy them. I'm gonna' make two recommendations to you:
1) Which one to buy: The fuel injector Noid Light Kit that I recommend is the Performance Tool W89501 10-Piece Noid And IAC Light Set, and here some reasons why:
- This is one of the most complete Noid Light kits on the market. It contains Noid Lights for the different fuel injector connectors used on the majority of makes and models, since not all cars use the same fuel injector connector type.
- The plastic case keeps all of the noid lights organized and safe.
- These tools are durable.
- Price is right.
Fuel Injector Noid Light Sets
2) Where to buy: If you like paying double or triple for your tools, you could run down to your local auto parts store and buy them there or going to the tool links above and buying them there (and saving $$$).
By clicking on the above images of the different Noid Light Sets, you'll go to Amazon's Site where you can browse to your hearts content.
Related Test Articles
Now, if the Noid Light tests on your Ford 4.6L or 5.4L equipped car or pick up or SUV indicated that everything is OK, and yet the car or pick up is still misfiring... the following articles might help:
- Ford 4.6L & 5.4L Engine Compression Test.
- How To Test The Fuel Injectors (Ford 4.6L, 5.4L)
- How To Diagnose Misfire Codes P0300-P0308 (Ford 4.6L, 5.4L).
- How To Test The Alternator (Ford 4.6L, 5.4L).
- How To Test The Starter Motor (Ford 4.6L, 5.4L).
- Coil-On-Plug (COP) Ignition Coil Misfire Tests (Ford 4.6L, 5.4L).
If this info saved the day, buy me a beer!