Other Causes Of A Misfire
A misfire (or rough idle condition) can be caused by one of several different problems. So if your ignition system tests have found no problems with the spark plug wires, then the following suggestions may inspire your next diagnostic test:
- Remove and check the spark plugs.
- Check that none have broken porcelain insulators. Especially if you've recently done a tune-up and dropped one on the floor.
- If the misfire or rough idle started after you washed the engine, then definitely remove the spark plugs and check to see if one or more have broken porcelain insulators.
- Check for carbon tracks on the spark plugs.
- Check to see if carbon tracks have formed on the spark plug's porcelain insulator. The photo above shows what a carbon track looks like on the inside of the spark plug wire boot and on the ceramic insulator of the spark plug.
- Check engine compression.
- One of the most overlooked diagnostic tests to find the root cause of misfire is the compression test.
- Check the fuel pump pressure.
- The fuel pump could be failing and just sending enough fuel to the injectors to start the engine, but not enough to keep the engine running optimally when driving the vehicle.
Where To Buy The Ignition Coil And Save
The ignition system components for the 1993-1994 2.5L Dodge Caravan (Plymouth Voyager) are not expensive, especially the ignition coil. The following links will help you to comparison shop and hopefully save you a few bucks on its purchase:
NOTE: The ignition coil fits the following vehicles: 1993, 1994, 1995 2.5L Dodge Caravan (Plymouth Voyager).
Where To Buy The Distributor Cap, Distributor Rotor, Spark Plug Wires And Save
The following links will help you to comparison shop and hopefully save you a few bucks on its purchase:
NOTE: The distributor cap, the distributor rotor, and the spark plug wires fit the following vehicles: 1993, 1994, 1995 2.5L Dodge Caravan (Plymouth Voyager).
More 2.5L Dodge Caravan And Plymouth Voyager Tutorials
You can find more wiring diagrams and tutorials for the 2.5L Dodge Caravan and 2.5L Plymouth Voyager tutorials in this index:
Here's a small sample of the articles/tutorials you'll find in the index:
- How To Test A Blown Head Gasket (1991-1995 2.5L Caravan And Voyager).
- How To Test Engine Compression (1991-1995 2.5L Caravan And Voyager).
- How To Test The Distributor Pickup Coil (1991-1995 2.5L Caravan And Voyager).
- How To Test The MAP Sensor (1991-1995 2.5L Caravan, Voyager).
If this info saved the day, buy me a beer!